Status: Open (View Workflow)
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Epic Name:Course Reserves
Calculated Total Rank:0
Libraries, generally academic, need the ability to provide Course Reserve services. These services include the ability to create Course records containing descriptive information about the course (for searching purposes), and to associate, or reserve, both physical and electronic resources with the course, and change the related loan rules and locations.
Depending on the size and Course Reserve role in the library, as well as the library’s policies for deleting non-active Course information, a FOLIO tenant could easily contain anywhere from 200-700 Course Records along with 2400-4000 associated item records.
Additionally course and reserve item information should be available 24/7, either through the library’s Discovery, and or OPAC layer as well as additional course reserve systems, and work efficiently for faculty and library staff. Copyright management services for electronic materials would also be appreciated.
Assumptions - Overall
- This epic does not address the issue of reserve items that are not associated with a Course. (Possible work-around is to create a “Course” called Permanent Reserve)
- Interoperability with external systems including but not limited to VuFind and EDS should be considered. Specific requirements will be specified in each feature description. Standards such as LTI may be relevant.
- Course Reserve app functionality will integrate as closely as possible with existing FOLIO functionality and UI design
Course Reserve app will interact with other FOLIO apps. Specifically:
- Items in the “Item” section are those stored in Inventory instances
- item records will be added to Courses (and given a temporary item type)
- Items will receive temporary locations
- Items that do not exist as inventory instances can be added with Fast add/On the Fly records (
UXPROD-1057) (Fast Add will be developed by the Inventory team in 2020q1, so until then the link will be grayed out in Course Reserves)
- Circulation - items will be assigned circulation policies
- Teachers of individual courses will be described in the User records.
- User record information will display in the Course record “Instructor” group
-------- 2018 Course Reserves Documentation------