Status: Draft (View Workflow)
Current situation or problem:
Addresses are hard. While highly-structured data is generally preferable, addresses are one data type that do not lend themselves to a one-size fits all approach. To account for address data that does not fit into the provided fielded data structure, we should provide a free-text field (presented as a text area form element in the UI) as part of all "address" records/record objects in FOLIO.
- Update all data models in FOLIO that capture address information to include a dedicated "full address" text field
- Add this field as an available address token in notices and staff slips
- Update UI framework to handle/display this information
Out of scope
- Validation of this field
- Data migration from systems that provide more free-form addresses without the need for heavy manual intervention and/or high incidence of "errors", where data is stored in the "wrong" field in the address record.
- Better support for atypical addresses
- In records that store addresses (eg. Users and Organizations), provide a data field that is meant for storing full representations of addresses, formatted by the user who enters the data.
- When displaying a textual representation of a given full address, this field should be used in lieu of concatenating the existing fields. This includes the FOLIO UI, as well as things like notice/staff slip tokens.
- If addresses are searchable/queryable, this field should have a full-text index in the database.
Links to additional info
- What can we do to improve the flexibility of fielded addresses in FOLIO?
- Should the availability of this functionality be configurable? Should libraries be able to force the use of structured fields?
- is cloned by
UXPROD-3610 Provide Free-form "Full Name" or "Display Name" Text Fields for Users
- relates to
UIU-1037 Make user address fields more configurable - DRAFT