Current situation or problem:
Under some circumstances, items in FOLIO inventory may share a barcode, but FOLIO requires all item barcodes to be unique. One potential remedy in these situations is to add a suffix to the barcodes to make them unique WITHOUT updating the physical barcodes on the item. Another situation may arise when handling items from outside the local FOLIO inventory (eg. ILL, INN-Reach integration, etc.). We need a mechanism to disambiguate items under these circumstances when presented with an unaltered barcode.
- Alternative workflow in ui-checkin that performs a right-truncated wildcard search for an item by the entered barcode and presents a disambiguation UI
- Settings to enable/disable (and possibly configure certain criteria for) this functionality
Out of scope
- Similar functionality in ui-checkout
- Multiple libraries hosted in one FOLIO tenant that have duplicated barcodes in their physical collections and wish to utilize suffixes to distinguish items without altering their physical barcodes and be able to distinguish them when performing check-in transactions
- Circulating items borrowed from other institutions (ILL or INN-Reach) where you do not control the barcodes and duplication is a possibility for which you need to account
To avoid inadvertently transacting with the incorrect item, it should be possible to perform a "fuzzy" or wildcard match on the entered barcode before calling the check-in-by-barcode API to actually check in the item. If more than one matching item record is returned, then a modal should be presented with a list of items (similar to the "move request" modal in ui-requests) to choose from. When an item is selected, it's specific barcode should be used to conduct the transaction.
Links to additional info