Type: New Feature
Status: Closed (View Workflow)
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: R2 2021
Template:UXPROD features customfield_11200 44649
Front End Estimate:Very Small (VS) < 1day
Back End Estimate:Large < 10 days
Calculated Total Rank:0
Cap Plan Fix Version (DO NOT CHANGE):R2 2021
Next step: Ann-Marie Breaux plan a meeting the week of 19 April with team leads and POs and Vasily to discuss implementation, and draft spikes and stories
Current situation or problem: In Iris, Data import has migrated most of its transactions (but not all) to direct Kafka connections instead of mod-pubsub.
There were some concerns raised in the community regarding how secure the direct connection will be. To address these concerns, the new solution was designed: https://wiki.folio.org/display/DD/Temporary+Kafka+security+solution.
The solution was reviewed and approved by the Security group and Tech Council.
Multi-tenancy on Kafka's side is implemented for the modules differently, so it will take time to make the changes in them that unify the multi-tenancy approach.
However, the direct Kafka connections should be secured in R1, so a simplified version of the solution is proposed for now.
- Add module-level Kafka user credentials support to Data import and PubSub modules. The credentials should be provided to all producers and consumers of a module with other Kafka client settings. Changes in PubSub are required since once Kafka authentication and authorization are enabled, the PubSub will need to pass through them as well.
- Add TLS (Transport Layer Security) support to the same modules. Same here, the settings should be provided to all producers and consumers of a module with other Kafka client settings.
Out of scope
This work is also needed for ElasticSearch and Remote Storage, but those applications/modules are managed by other dev teams
Proposed solution/How it could be implemented:
- ModuleDescriptor should be updated to include the new Kafka settings: TLS, and, for now, user credentials (the credentials later could be injected to container a different way, for instance, as EnvironmentVariables)
- Update a class that represents Kafka config
- Update a class(es) that creates and assigns the config to Kafka producers and consumers
- Test the updates
Links to additional info