Current situation or problem: within CaiaSoft configuration, institutions need the ability to have holdings records duplicated and split as part of the accession process
In scope: Automatically split/duplicate holdings record in accession process for CaiaSoft users
Use cases: Libraries frequently add a large number of items to a location
- Accession flow is initiated from the remote storage system by creating the accession job.
- Remote storage system calls into Folio Edge API to retrieve bibliographic metadata related to item. The item will be identified by barcode. (title, primary contributor, ISBN, call number, enumeration [volume and year], ISSN, identifier, holdings record)
- FOLIO responds with item’s (item and holding, but only the item that was accessioned) bibliographic information and automatically changes the item’s permanent location to a remote location (as per accession table). FOLIO checks the permanent location of the current holdings record. The holding needs to be changed to the remote location when the item is changed to the remote location. It is fine to have items with a different location from the holding. If one item has a remote location, the holding must have the same remote location.
- If a holding's permanent location matches the new item’s permanent location, the accession process successfully ends here.
- If a holding's permanent location doesn’t match the new item’s permanent location, then the accession flow continues.
- FOLIO checks the items in the current holding and compares them with items from the remote storage request.
- If all other items from the current holding have the same permanent location, as the accessioned item, or should have the same permanent location according to the barcodes in the request, then the current holding's permanent location is changed to the new remote location of the item. Accession process successfully ends here.
- If not all items from the current holding have or will have the same remote permanent location, then the accession flow continues.
- FOLIO checks the current instance for the existence of a holdings record with a location which matches the new item’s permanent location.
- If such a holdings record is in place, the accessioned item is automatically moved to this holding
- If there isn’t such a holdings record,
- current holdings record is automatically duplicated,
- holdings permanent location is changed to new item’s permanent location
- item is automatically moved to created holdings record
Links to additional info
Caiasoft MVP workflows & requirements doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iS8nKYkIP4Q7BA0i8tU6csLqvgEiYRta/view?usp=sharing
Cornell Caiasoft workflows: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TP4nSNtEkvOnT-tE2yhwqElVtf2aW–EefW9OKhBLjc/edit?usp=sharing
Duke Caiasoft workflows: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e3vSoerJgYoZpCWW7mDUTaMdfPjVIwCoJdSdOPdMOQU/edit?usp=sharing