Current situation or problem: Cornell Library needs to be able to transfer fees/fines to the bursar when they go live with FOLIO in Summer 2021.
UXPROD-105 (Automated Transfer of fees/fines to bursar or other account) will not be completed on time, so Cornell is paying EPAM developers to develop what they need at go-live. Most of what is being developed will be reusable by UXPROD-105.
- Create module to identify fees/fines meeting Cornell’s criteria (which is any active student fees/fines that have been outstanding for more than 9 days) and create fee/fine ‘action’ record for each transfer (see the manual Transfer fee/fine process for more information--this is needed to document that the patron’s fee/fine has been transferred and so that Cornell is able to balance fees/fines)
- Create module to generate machine readable extract in format Cornell’s Bursar system needs.
- Facilitate scheduling of modules to run daily (or at other interval) at a set time.
- Facilitate production of list of previous extracts and ability to download selected file.
- Verify that Circulation Log includes Transfer ‘actions’ (it does for manual transfers, and should automatically pick up automated transfers).
- Stop scheduled patron notices from being sent after the fees/fines have been transferred to the bursar.
Out of scope
- Incorporating the manually transferred fees/fines into the extract. Cornell does not need to be able to transfer individual fees/fines manually. Only the daily bulk extract is needed.
- Generating of patron notices is not included because Cornell does not currently send notices for transfers and doesn't plan to do so after migrating to FOLIO.
- Creating a log of transferred fees/fines--the Circulation Log will meet this need, plus we will have a copy of each extract to refer back to.
- Processing of rejected transfers--this will be handled manually by Cornell Library staff.
- Notifying the Bursar of refunded fees/fines—this will be handled manually via the refund report initially (separate UXPROD feature is UXPROD-1879).
Questions for Michelle Hubbell (answered January 12, 2020)
- Is criteria correct: Students with open fee/fine created more than 9 days ago? Yes. Students must be Active.
- Which patron groups make up 'students'? Undergraduate, Graduate, CU Undergraduate, CU Graduate (the last two may not be migrated to FOLIO; not sure yet; there aren't many).
- If sending notices is not included in the API, is it enough to add a note at the bottom of all 'charge' notices indicating that any student fees/fines not paid within 9 days will be transferred to the bursar? This is what CUL already does. They do not send a notice when fees/fines are transferred. We will continue with this approach.
- Does Cornell need to be able to send single transfers? No, have never done that and don't plan on doing that in FOLIO.