Several months ago I had a conversation with Dennis Bridges re: how countries are handled in organization record addresses. He stated that the lookup list for countries is based on the ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 standard. So I wrote my organizations extract script to supply the appropriate ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 for each country. In general, I found that the Organizations UI displayed the correct expanded form when supplied with the ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 code.
However, today I discovered that the same is not true of the addresses in contact records. The 'country' part of the address section of the contact.json record takes the supplied value and handles it as a simple string and doesn't translate the code for display.
The result is that if the code 'GBR' is supplied to the organizations-storage/organizations endpoint, the UI displays 'United Kingdom' as the country, but if the code 'GBR' is supplied to the organizations-storage/contacts endpoint, the UI displays 'GBR' as the country. Please see the attached examples of json as submitted to the endpoints and screen shots of the results.
Also, when the organization is displayed in the 3-panel display in a search result, the GBR is not expanded to United Kingdom, even in the organization address.