Users with appropriate permissions can search for items in inventory and add those to a Course.
Assumptions - Items associated with Courses
- Items will be in inventory
- Items may be physical or electronic
- Items may be owned by the library or not (Teacher supplied) and will have an item record
- Item loan rules will be managed by FOLIO loan policies specified in Circulation App
- Items put on reserve may receive a temporary item type and temporary location. The permanent item type and location will remain in the system.
- Items' history will be retained (i.e. old “reserve” records will remain until explicitly purged) so that once an item returns to its permanent item type and location, the reserve item type and location, along with the dates of those will be retained (for reporting purposes)
Story | Description
Having created Course records, Library staff require the ability to associate items with the Course, change the location, material type and circulation policies for the item and perform other management functions
When the user is in the "Edit" mode, the Item section includes an “Add Item” option box (similar to the one used for item check in) , a "Fast Add" option button https://issues.folio.org/browse/UXPROD-1057 and an "export" of selected items in CSV format), a “Select all” check box.
Once an item barcode is scanned the following information appears in the Course Reserve Item entry:
Individual item records include two types of fields:
- Fields from Inventory
- Item barcode
- Permanent location
- Call number
- Temporary location (editable in CR app)
- Temporary loan (editable in CR app)
- URL/PDF link
- Fields native to Course Reserve Items
- Item Start date (editable in CR app)
- Item End date (editable in CR app)
- Processing status (controlled vocab)
- Ex: “recalled”, “on order”, “in cataloging”
- Copyright tracking % [check box] if checked includes the following fields
- Additional sections of this item used in this course [check box]
- Copyright status [dropdown with authorized value list default values of “Fair use | Copyright *** in process | Copyright paid]
- Total number of pages in item [free text]
- Total number of pages used [free text]
- Total % of pages used [free text]
- Payment based on [free text]
2018 Course Reserves
PO created mock up : https://wiki.folio.org/x/L4Xc
Just like in the inventory app the Course is like the Bib record and the items associated are like the the holdings records. Admins in FOLIO will want to add items (both print & electronic) to a course record.
Create an Add Items button on the course records to be displayed once a course record is created. That would open a section that would allow for an item look up or a scan item box.
For print item that will be placed on reserve for a course the item needs to be changed to the temp location. (Out of scope for this Q4 — nice to have a batch to update to the temp location and available time frame.)
For an e-item all of the above is true with additional fields for copyright information. (See mockup)
For electronic & print we need to be able to set a date/time for availability of the reserves item that is shorter or longer than the course active date.