Consortium: A consortium is a group of libraries that may purchase resources as a group AND/OR share resources so that all their users has access to the resources across all libraries in the consortium. Sometimes these groups are created based on geography (for example Five Colleges are schools that are within a 10 mile radius of each other) or type of school (for example - Ivy League schools like Cornell/Harvard have a consortia)
Example of a consortium that will use FOLIO: Five College (University of Massachusetts - Amherst, Smith College, Hampshire College, Mt. Holyoke, and Amherst College)
Background: Each school that is a part of Five Colleges manages its own holdings and thus each school has its own EBSCO KB customerID and API encryption key. With FOLIO, Five Colleges will be a single tenant.
What we must support
- If the FOLIO customer is a single tenant with
- has multiple libraries
- whereby each school has its own EBSCO KB accounts, then we need to store each institution's EBSCO KB API credentials.
- AND When a library staff member logs onto FOLIO, then the system must default to the library staff member's home EBSCO KB.
- For example, Jack works for University of Massachusetts (UMASS). UMASS is a member of Five Colleges. When Jack logs onto FOLIO and accesses the eholdings app then he should see UMASS' eholdings.
- Potentially we can leverage Locations > Service Points
Investigate if there is an association between a logged in user and the institution the user belongs to.
Few places to look at in FOLIO:
1. User record
2. Settings - Tenant - Institutions - we can get list of institutions using https://okapi-fse-eu-central-1.folio.ebsco.com/location-units/institutions?query=cql.allRecords=1%20sortby%20name&limit=100 ; but what does this endpoint return when the tenant is a consortia and not a specific institution?
For Ex: In Chalmers -> Response is as follows:
3. In case it's a tenant of a consortia, will this endpoint list out all institutions that belong to the consortia? Is there a way a default will be highlighted based on the user logged in? Tried checking fivecolleges, but Tenant information is not present at the time of this writing.
1. Present/Document spike findings to the Spitfire team.
2. Add needed JIRA in the respective app in case there is no straight-forward association.